• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How good is my workout routine.

rollin_stoned

Bluelighter
Mods, feel free to move this thread to an existing thread if there is one on this topic.

I just began working out last week doing yoga for an hour every monday and wednesday.

For Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I'll do the circuit workout that's offered in my gym which typically takes about 25 minutes to do followed by a brisk walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes as a cool down.

The circuit workout involves various resistance machines that work out different parts of the body and after each machine you go on the stationary bike till the tape tells you to stop and switch....i don't listen to the tape when i'm on the resistance machines because i'll do 10 reps per machine.

Is this good or bad? I've heard that doing the same thing everyday makes your body used to the workout and you reach a plateau.....is there anything I should change?

I'm going more for strength training and muscle building...I don't want huge muscles but i want some definition.

I would focus on not using the same machines within this workout more than once per week. In that, say you use 5 machines per day (on those 3 days per week), then use 5 different ones each day. This will spread things out a bit. If you don't want to get huge, but more "ripped," which it sounds like you are intending for given your emphasis on cardio (and what you said), then I'd do maybe 12-15 reps with fewer sets, instead of doing 10 reps.

As for the plateau stuff, well that's true, but not really all that important unless your goal really is to bodybuild. Yet still, you can mix the machines up (for example, your gym might have two different squat machines...alternate each week). And use free-weights as well as machines for additional change.

Just try and keep at it. The hardest part of getting in shape is sticking with it week after week and not getting lazy.

Best of luck!